- Have your home heating systems (including chimneys and vents) inspected and serviced annually by a trained service technician.
- Never use portable generators inside homes or garages, even if doors and windows are open. Use generators outside only, far away from the home.
- Never bring a charcoal grill into the house for heating or cooking. Do not barbeque in the garage.
- Never use a gas range or oven for heating.
- Open the fireplace damper before lighting a fire and keep it open until the ashes are cool. An open damper may help prevent build-up of poisonous gases inside the home.
- Install battery-operated CO alarms or CO alarms with battery backup in your home outside separate sleeping areas.
- Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, sleepiness, and confusion. If you suspect CO poisoning, get outside to fresh air immediately, and then call 911.
Know the Symptoms of CO Poisoning
Because CO is odorless, colorless, and otherwise undetectable to the human senses, people may not know that they are being exposed. The initial symptoms of low to moderate CO poisoning are similar to the flu (but without the fever). They include:
- Shortness of breath
High level CO poisoning results in progressively more severe symptoms, including:
- Mental confusion
- Loss of muscular coordination
- Loss of consciousness
- Ultimately death
Symptom severity is related to both the CO level and the duration of exposure. For slowly developing residential CO problems, occupants and/or physicians can mistake mild to moderate CO poisoning symptoms for the flu, which sometimes results in tragic deaths. For rapidly developing, high level CO exposures (e.g., associated with use of generators in residential spaces), victims can rapidly become mentally confused, and can lose muscle control without having first experienced milder symptoms; they will likely die if not rescued.
We would like to thank the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission for this material. Visit the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission at www.cpsc.gov
- 20 Oct 20172017/2018 Scholarship RecipientsElisia Lopez Southwest Senior High School In high school, Elisia challenged herself to take AP class...
- 03 Apr 2017High Carbon Monoxide Levels Kill Children at a Hotel in Michigan...
- 03 Apr 2017Tragic Death after Carbon Monoxide Leak at Hotel Pool...
- 05 Mar 2017Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Vehicles (AEN-208)The lethal consequences of CO in engine exhaust is tragically illustrated by the hundreds of persons...
- 05 Mar 2017Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Garages (AEN-207)Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly toxic gas produced when fuels burn incompletely. The typical intern...
More info on the #InvisibleKiller
Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is called the "Invisible Killer" because it's a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. More than 150 people in the Unites States die every year from accidental non-fire related CO poisoning associated with consumer products.
Check out CPSC's CO Information Center for valuable details and resources for keeping your family safe from the risk of poisoning.
Check out the conversation on Twitter:#InvisibleKiller