originally posted by Sissi Garland 01/25/2011 at 3:00 pm
Family and friends of late FIU student Anthony “Tony” Perez gathered on Friday, Jan. 21 to celebrate his life at a ceremony where part of Bird Road was named after him.
During the 2010 Legislative Session, State Sen. Anitere Flores sponsored and passed legislation to designate Bird Road from Southwest 102nd Avenue to Southwest 117th Avenue as “Anthony J. Perez Street.”
FIU President Emeritus Modesto A. Maidique, Jeffrey Perez (brother), Vilma Perez (mother), Jennifer Perez (sister), State Senator Anitere Flores, Miami-Dade Commissioner Javier Souto, Diego Perez (father).
On November 14, 2004, Perez, 25, died of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, along with fellow FIU student Janelle Bertot, 19. At the time, Perez was president of Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity at FIU and was studying liberal arts in hopes of one day becoming a teacher.
Joining Flores at the podium during Friday’s ceremony were FIU President Emeritus Modesto A. Maidique; Vilma Perez, Perez’s mother; Phillip Lloyd Hamilton, a member of Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity and a friend of Perez’s; and Capt. Eric Baum of Miami-Dade County Fire Rescue. Also present were Miami-Dade County Commissioner Javier Souto, representatives from the offices of State Rep. Richard Steinberg and Miami-Dade County Commissioner Joe Martinez, members of Miami-Dade County Fire Rescue, FIU administrators and alumni, members of Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity, other friends and family members of Perez.
To honor him, Perez’s family established Anthony’s Light Foundation, an educational, non-profit organization to help raise awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
We would like to thank the FIU News for this material. Visit FIU News at news.fiu.edu for this complete article and other articles about the FIU and Florida community.
- 04 Nov 2021Share CO SafetyDid someone say Carbon Monoxide? Is that CO or CO2? …watch to find out!...
- 16 Jul 20202019/2020 Scholarship RecipientBrianna Mantrana My name is Brianna Mantrana and I am sincerely honored to have been selected as the...
- 19 Apr 20182017/2018 Scholarship RecipientLaura Paule Southwest Senior High School Throughout her high school years, Laura committed herself t...
- 20 Oct 20172016/2017 Scholarship RecipientsElisia Lopez Southwest Senior High SchoolIn high school, Elisia challenged herself to take AP classe...
- 03 Apr 2017High Carbon Monoxide Levels Kill Children at a Hotel in Michigan...
More info on the #InvisibleKiller
Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is called the "Invisible Killer" because it's a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. More than 150 people in the Unites States die every year from accidental non-fire related CO poisoning associated with consumer products.
Check out CPSC's CO Information Center for valuable details and resources for keeping your family safe from the risk of poisoning.
Check out the conversation on Twitter:#InvisibleKiller