An odorless, colorless toxic gas
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. Because it is impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes, CO can kill you before you are aware of it.
At lower levels of exposure, CO causes mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu. These symptoms include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue. The effects of CO exposure can vary greatly from person to person depending on age, overall health and the concentration and length of exposure.
(SENATE BILL 1822) – CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS
EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2008, IT IS A LAW IN THE STATE FLORIDA!!!
A LAW TO HONOR OUR LOVED ONES THAT LEFT TOO SOON.
Every year many lives are lost due to accidental carbon monoxide poisoning under circumstances that are preventable. After various visits to Tallahassee by our family and the family of other victims, letters to our representatives and testimonies provided to the House and Senate, our voices were heard at the Capitol and in June 2007, Governor Charlie Crist signed into law a bill that will make Florida a safer place to live and ultimately save lives! A carbon monoxide detector will be required in every building (residential and commercial) for which a building permit is issued for new construction on or after July 1, 2008, and having a fossil-burning heater or appliance, a fireplace, or an attached garage. The carbon monoxide detector will need to be installed within 10 feet of each room used for sleeping purposes.
The new State Law also applies to public lodging, as it relates to every enclosed space or room that contains a boiler system.
- 03 Apr 2017High Carbon Monoxide Levels Kill Children at a Hotel in Michigan...
- 03 Apr 2017Tragic Death after Carbon Monoxide Leak at Hotel Pool...
- 05 Mar 2017Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Vehicles (AEN-208)The lethal consequences of CO in engine exhaust is tragically illustrated by the hundreds of persons...
- 05 Mar 2017Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Garages (AEN-207)Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly toxic gas produced when fuels burn incompletely. The typical intern...
- 05 Mar 2017Keyless Ignitions Led to Carbon Monoxide Deaths and Should Have Been Recalled, Suit SaysBy Erin Dooley Some of the world’s biggest automakers should have recalled millions of vehicles with...
More info on the #InvisibleKiller
Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is called the "Invisible Killer" because it's a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. More than 150 people in the Unites States die every year from accidental non-fire related CO poisoning associated with consumer products.
Check out CPSC's CO Information Center for valuable details and resources for keeping your family safe from the risk of poisoning.
Check out the conversation on Twitter:#InvisibleKiller