An odorless, colorless toxic gas
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. Because it is impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes, CO can kill you before you are aware of it.
At lower levels of exposure, CO causes mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu. These symptoms include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue. The effects of CO exposure can vary greatly from person to person depending on age, overall health and the concentration and length of exposure.
(SENATE BILL 1822) – CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS
EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2008, IT IS A LAW IN THE STATE FLORIDA!!!
A LAW TO HONOR OUR LOVED ONES THAT LEFT TOO SOON.
Every year many lives are lost due to accidental carbon monoxide poisoning under circumstances that are preventable. After various visits to Tallahassee by our family and the family of other victims, letters to our representatives and testimonies provided to the House and Senate, our voices were heard at the Capitol and in June 2007, Governor Charlie Crist signed into law a bill that will make Florida a safer place to live and ultimately save lives! A carbon monoxide detector will be required in every building (residential and commercial) for which a building permit is issued for new construction on or after July 1, 2008, and having a fossil-burning heater or appliance, a fireplace, or an attached garage. The carbon monoxide detector will need to be installed within 10 feet of each room used for sleeping purposes.
The new State Law also applies to public lodging, as it relates to every enclosed space or room that contains a boiler system.
- 04 Nov 2021Share CO SafetyDid someone say Carbon Monoxide? Is that CO or CO2? …watch to find out!...
- 16 Jul 20202019/2020 Scholarship RecipientBrianna Mantrana My name is Brianna Mantrana and I am sincerely honored to have been selected as the...
- 19 Apr 20182017/2018 Scholarship RecipientLaura Paule Southwest Senior High School Throughout her high school years, Laura committed herself t...
- 20 Oct 20172016/2017 Scholarship RecipientsElisia Lopez Southwest Senior High SchoolIn high school, Elisia challenged herself to take AP classe...
- 03 Apr 2017High Carbon Monoxide Levels Kill Children at a Hotel in Michigan...
More info on the #InvisibleKiller
Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is called the "Invisible Killer" because it's a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. More than 150 people in the Unites States die every year from accidental non-fire related CO poisoning associated with consumer products.
Check out CPSC's CO Information Center for valuable details and resources for keeping your family safe from the risk of poisoning.
Check out the conversation on Twitter:#InvisibleKiller